Monday, March 28, 2005

I am a mountain-biking marvel

I hit the trails yesterday with my mountain-biking dad (some people take up golf when they retire; not my pops, nosirree. He takes up rocks and dirt and disc brakes and full-suspension systems). I'm a road cyclist who has made only the occasional foray off said road. It's always been fun, but the thing is, mountain biking requires SKILLS not actually necessary for road riding. I don't know who you've asked, but chances are those in the know could tell you that I like most sports but that I have more heart than innate talent or, say, hand-eye coordination. Point being, I have spent more time off the bike than necessarily on it in my previous mountain biking excursions. I have always had a great time and I really have loved it -- bikes plus trees and flowers and all that sort of thing.

However: THIS time, something clicked. I was bobbing, weaving, juking boulders, jumping ditches, and navigating steep, rocky descents with ease. I have learned to keep my weight way back, relax, and not brake unless I need to, in which case I feather the front one and put a little more pressure on the back one, unless I feel my back wheel start to skid in which case I ease up, etc, etc. I started screaming, "I am a mountain biking marvel!" and I forced Pops to agree with me. I rode a bunch of stuff he told me to walk. At one point, where he had told me to walk, and where he NEVER rides, he assured me, I ignored him as usual. I was halfway through it when I did take an unfortunate spill off the side of a cliff, but I landed on a grassy knoll and all was well. Pops made sure to point to all the rocky places I COULD have fallen, but he kept missing the point that that was not where I HAD fallen. Why bring up what could have been? I say.

Now it rained last night, and tragically, the trails are closed. But they might be open in two more days, at which time I will again instruct them as to who owns them and their mother.

7 Comments:

Blogger Lois Lane said...

That sounds like a really good time! And when you go again, you show those mountains who's boss. ;)
Lois Lane

March 28, 2005 at 8:12 PM  
Blogger Erik said...

finally, something you're good at!!

just playin'! good job superstar.

March 29, 2005 at 12:00 AM  
Blogger Happy Birthday! said...

Ahem. Second comment-leaver, please see first comment for proper comment-leaving style and tone. As you were.

March 30, 2005 at 10:46 PM  
Blogger Erik said...

:)

i wish i was the first commenter, that way i could've set what the tone should be. as it stands, it's going to be an uphill battle.

March 31, 2005 at 1:40 PM  
Blogger Lois Lane said...

Sorry Erik, I'm older and I have more insurance, plus I'm fast as lightning with the proper comments. :P
Lois Lane

April 2, 2005 at 7:55 AM  
Blogger Lois Lane said...

The bike seat must be killing your ass by now... so um, you wanna come back now? Cuz, well, I kinda miss reading you and stuff.
Lois Lane
P.S. Happy weekend!

April 22, 2005 at 10:54 AM  
Blogger Lois Lane said...

Why is it that every time I check on you I feel like a stalker? Hurry up and write something. I hope you are well and all is good!
Lois Lane

May 10, 2005 at 9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Funny Stuff
  • Odd Todd
  • The Onion

  • Blogs I dig:
  • Moments of Adequacy
  • Not Totally Inept
  • Home Fires