Friday, January 28, 2005

Please update your records to reflect my figure skating skills

Just now it was hailing outside, then pouring big huge raindrops and hailing at the same time, it seemed like (is that possible? hmmm maybe not). Nemo is getting BIG and he's stinking up the garage bigtime with all his poop. He's not trained yet. Lovely.

Went ice skating in Yosemite last Saturday. The sun was shining through the trees and huge mountain-rocks, and it was beautiful, and there’s a big open fire pit next to the rink, and it was lovely. But the point is that I skated on figure skates -- successfully -- for the first time. I used to in-line skate a lot, and played roller hockey sometimes, so I'm really used to allowing my heel to lift up and the front of my foot to go down -- you can when there's a wheel there. The first time I ice skated after in-line skating for years, I wore figure skates (with that evil ridged blade thing at the toe), and promptly fell flat on my face (I believe this is called a toe pick) like a million times. My hips were a bloody, bruised purple/blue and I was miserable. What was so annoying is that I could have skated on HOCKEY skates just fine, since they have the sense to curve up so you can don't have to keep your feet all flat. Ever after, I've rented hockey skates when I skate (like once a year tops), and all is well. At Yosemite, they only have figure skates to rent, imagine that. Well I wasn't going to sit and not skate, but I was very dismayed. I asked the guys working there if anyone had any hockey skates just sitting around, I begged and pleaded for them to be just kidding, they really did rent hockey skates - good joke, huh?!, I threatened to write my congressman, etc., but nothing I did made a pair of hockey skates manufacture themselves in my presence. SOOOO I got on the ice with a dumb pair of skinny shiny tan things, feeling all prissy and Kristi Yamaguchi-ish. Kristi might argue there was no resemblance at all. Whatever.

But then I made an amazing discovery. Gingerly at first, then with more confidence, I found out that I could actually do it!!!! That other time, it seemed that one second I would be skating, and the next second, I would be facedown on the ice. But somehow I was able to skate without moving the front of my foot down in that very bad way, and pretty soon I was zinging around the curves, crossing over, skating backwards (technically, skating backwards shouldn’t have been a problem anyway since that stupid ridgy thing is in the front), doing triple lutzes, spinning like a top, and throwing my friends up in the air and catching them. OK, that last stuff is not strictly “true” but anyway I was an ice-skating wonder, I tell you what. My roommate N and I weaved artfully between skaters, facing each other, one backwards and one frontwards, just like in Monster, except that we're not lesbians and I didn't go out and kill eight truckers afterward. It also seemed like figure skates support your ankle better. I will probably still get hockey skates in the future just because, but now my (considerable) skills are not confined to the hockey skate realm only, and this made me happy.

5 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

nicely done. i would skate with figure skates also, but then that would mean i was gay (not that there's anything wrong with that).

tonight i skated (with hockey skates) in a losing effort against the only team in our division that we hadn't (and still haven't) beaten. we led the entire game until 5 minutes left. we ended up losing 5-4. some of the other boys knocked me down a few times, but i did it to them also. it was fun even tho we lost.

okay, i managed to make a comment on your post be all about me. do i have skillz or what...

January 30, 2005 at 11:09 PM  
Blogger Lois Lane said...

Skillz indeed girl! I wonder if you were able to pick up the grace and balance as a result of tiptoeing through Nemo's landmines in the garage. Also wondering, you wanna come and chaperone my son's field trip to the ice rink next week? I can do the inline skates. In fact, some say I am hell on wheels but if you put me on blades, I get all sorts of not right. (blade, blade, blade!!!) I turn into Slingblade and I say stuff like, "hmmm, yep, I recon we ought not be here." I can't imagine this will be a good thing for my son's little ego. "Oh look at Mrs. Lane, she escaped a mental hospital!" (shiver)
Lois Lane

February 10, 2005 at 9:25 AM  
Blogger Lois Lane said...

Yeah, what Rocks said!
Lois Lane

February 15, 2005 at 8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, I would like to meet some other local people who are interested in ice skate. I'm using this ice skate site; are there any other around?
Cheers

January 14, 2006 at 11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading this. I agree. Go have a nice day.

April 9, 2006 at 2:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Funny Stuff
  • Odd Todd
  • The Onion

  • Blogs I dig:
  • Moments of Adequacy
  • Not Totally Inept
  • Home Fires