Friday, December 17, 2004

So this is uncharacteristic of me, I guess

in that I really cannot stand George W. Bush and that I usually do not see eye to eye politically with the people who tend to be the flag-waving, yellow-ribbon posting Support Our Troops people. Not that I don't support our troops; I do. But I don't support whatsoever the foreign policy of this administration. And our pre-war, war, and "post"-war strategies seem to have been dreamed up by -- oh, I don't have the strength for this.

ANYWAY, I have a troop pen pal soldier person. It's not HIS freaking fault that his President is the biggest idiot in the history of short, powerful white dudes (isn't he short? or was that just compared to Kerry?). I just got his name and address today, and I'm gonna write to him and send him cheery, funny notes and care packages. I think the guys who sign up for this are the ones who don't get that much mail or something so anyway. If you want to comment to this post and send any messages along to him, I'll add them to my letter(s). I can't tell you his name for his own security, but to give you some background on him, um he's a military dude, he probably has a canteen, maybe he took one of those pictures where he looks all serious in his uniform with a flag in the back, and um he gets up really early, I'm betting. OK I'm being silly because they really did not tell me anything about him except his name, so anyway there you go. But I think it will be fun to send him stuff. Maybe I'll make him a camo scarf!

7 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

That's kind of cool -- can I get one? Could it be a cute female soldier? But not that one who worked in Abu Ghraib -- she didn't seem nice.

December 18, 2004 at 12:58 AM  
Blogger unca said...

Good for you. I know you're not fishing for compliments but it's to your credit that you're not letting your political views interfere with something that is, I'm sure, appreciated and welcome.

December 18, 2004 at 3:37 PM  
Blogger Erik said...

I didn't know you voted for Bush! I would've never guessed that...ok ok, don't get all riled up. Good job with the pen pal thing.

December 18, 2004 at 5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a really cool thing of you to do. I agree...it is not their faults. My brother may have to go back...yet again, but so far he has wrangled out of it.

December 18, 2004 at 10:48 PM  
Blogger Lois Lane said...

My brother is headed to Iraq in January and I know he would love to have a pen pal. What you're doing is tres coolio! Tell your pen pal thanks for his service and be safe.
Lois Lane

December 19, 2004 at 9:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for stoppin' by and sayin' stuff, Roxy. Also, thanks for doing something cool for somebody you don't know.

Me? I'd like confirmation about the canteen.

December 20, 2004 at 4:20 PM  
Blogger Happy Birthday! said...

Thanks for the kind words, all. I'm gonna send him part of each of your comments just for fun. It's fun to know people are thinking about you/talking about you even when you're not halfway across the world, so I bet he will dig it.

December 21, 2004 at 11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Funny Stuff
  • Odd Todd
  • The Onion

  • Blogs I dig:
  • Moments of Adequacy
  • Not Totally Inept
  • Home Fires