Thursday, December 02, 2004

ebay mania

So I have a regular job and everything, but I've always thought it would be cool to buy stupid stuff at Goodwill/clean out my closets, and sell the stuff on ebay, so I can have extra money to use for stuff like traveling. So far I've sold:

Hawaiian dress, $1 at Goodwill; sold for $5.00
Russian dress, $30 (OK, I bought this in Russia), sold for $75.00 (resulting in interesting correspondence with buyer who wants to go to Russia)
Eddie Bauer rain poncho, $6.00 at Goodwill, bidding is at $11.50
Anyway, as you can see, I'm well on my way to riches and fame, and it's fun too.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

Is the profit turning out to be worth the trouble of shipping the stuff?
I think I need to do that with my stuff!

December 2, 2004 at 5:46 PM  
Blogger Happy Birthday! said...

It does take a little bit of time to take the pictures, post the stuff on ebay, and then ship the stuff, so I think what you need to do is have a system -- take all the pictures (of like 5-10 items) at once, start the auctions at the same time, and then ship all at once. I'm still figuring it out. If I can do the shipping from my office, I'm set. Mostly I've gone to the post office, but if I can do it from the office, it will be really easy. Last time I wasn't able to figure out how to insure it without going to the post office, so for the Russian dress, I had to go there. Sometimes they don't care about insurance. But yeah, I'd recommend it! Maybe if you figure out your hourly wage, it's not great, depending on the volume. I dunno. But who's gonna pay you anyway for taking pictures of your own stuff at midnight and making up ad copy to make people look at it? <-- more fun than real work. And you're not gonna get any money at all for your old stuff anyway. ebay charges you to list the stuff, too, but not that much - between $1.50 and $3 maybe?

December 3, 2004 at 10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Funny Stuff
  • Odd Todd
  • The Onion

  • Blogs I dig:
  • Moments of Adequacy
  • Not Totally Inept
  • Home Fires